Monday, February 25, 2008

Permanent Brazilian Residents

I have more to post about the work here in Porto Alegre in the coming days, but for now I thought that I would share a little bit of good news...

After living in Brazil for nearly 4 years we finally received our ID cards stating our Brazilian Residency. It is pretty cool to have accomplished this. Every 6 months (or sometimes more often) for the last 4 years we have gone to the Federal Police to renew our temporary residency while awaiting our permanent residency. It is almost like we have been on probation for the last few years.

Last week our "permanent" temporary cards were to expire so we went in to see if our permanent cards had come in. We have been in the waiting process for these particular cards for 2 years. Well, they came!!!

What this means is:
  • We are free to come and go without a visa in our Passports.
  • We can get jobs here if we needed to (Brazilian earned income).
  • We don't have to go back to the Federal Police for anything until August of 2017 (that's 9 years)!
  • Even if we move back to the states at some point, we still have residency in Brazil (as long as we renew these new cards every 9 years).
I am sure that there are more positives, but I am too tired to care right now and they are probably things that I wouldn't take advantage of anyway. I just thought that I would share this little bit of positive news with the few people who read this blog.

2 comments:

Kathy Short said...

Note: If you stay out of the country bfor more than a two year period you lose your permanent resident status no matter how far away the expiration date is.

Blessings,
Randy Short, Recife

Sascha Terry said...

Thanks for the heads up, Randy! I appreciate it.