Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tiago

In the last 2 posts I have put on this blog I have written about our good friend, Tiago (Chee-a-Go). I think that it is time for me to give as much of his story to you as I can.

We first met Tiago in 2004 when Let's Start Talking did a campaign with our church. He was one of the readers who came to practice his English using the Bible. I didn't really know him well back then, but I remember him coming to church a couple of times. I recall him being very laid-back and reserved in those days.

Tiago continued to come in and out of our lives with LST coming again in 2005 and with an English class that he had with Tessa Sexton. He studied with Tessa one-on-one for some time before their classes eventually ended. He was a part of the "Growth Group" small group study at the Klein's home from June 2006 until December of that year. As we made our transition out of the building and into house churches Tiago came to be a part of the group that meets in our home on Sundays. We praise God that he has been a regular part of our group for the last year and a half. In addition, Tiago has also been a consistent participant in the Men's Ministry studies and retreats.

Here is a picture of the group of men that went on a retreat in July of 2007. Tiago is circled.

Tiago is only 24 years old, but he comes across as someone with a lot of experience, maturity and wisdom. He wasn't taught anything of significance about the Gospel before coming to our church family, but has always carried himself with integrity and humility. He is an upright young man that we are all very fond of. He has given out of his own pocket to help those of our church family who have been in need and is always available to listen and encourage when someone needs him to.

Tiago and I went camping a few weeks ago. On that trip I had an opportunity to visit with him a little about his faith and where he is at spiritually. I tried not to put pressure on him, but I wanted to let him know that I was concerned about his salvation. He had let me know before in a previous conversation and again in this one that he wasn't sure when he would be baptized, but he wanted to spend more time in reflection about Christianity. He told me that he saw something powerful in the family of God, but didn't quite know how to grasp it or how to have it in his life. We talked about the Holy Spirit and the power that comes through confessing Jesus as your Lord and being baptized. I talked about my personal faith walk and how much of a journey it has been. We were very open and honest. I left that conversation feeling like he was on the right track and that one day he would indeed give his life to Jesus.

Since mid-March Tiago has been a part of a small group that has had an English class with Jennifer. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening this small group meets up at the C.A.S.A. to study English grammar (fun!) and read through the book of James. Every now and then Jennifer would let me know that Tiago was taking a deep interest in what they were reading and talking about in James. The book of James is some real, convicting Christian living stuff. It really started to take hold of Tiago and eventually started to touch his heart in a way he hadn't yet been touched.

A couple of days ago I wrote about how Tiago told me he wanted to give his life to Jesus. I am still so moved that he has allowed the Lord to penetrate his heart. Tonight Tiago and Paulo Renato came over for a pizza dinner to close out their English classes with Jennifer. After dinner Tiago and I had a chance to talk alone while we prepared the bathtub for his baptism. I explained to him how we would do the baptism and that I would read some scriptures beforehand. I told him that this is the most important day of his life and that in just a few moments he will have a new life in Jesus. He then told me that when he first made the decision to be baptized it was when he knew that he would travel to Australia. He began to think about how he wouldn't be with us on Sundays and that bothered him. He wanted to be connected to us through Jesus. He then told me that at first he thought that being baptized would be something simple to do. However, after studying scripture over the last few days he realizes how serious of a commitment to Jesus it is. He realizes now that this is a life-altering event and that he will never be the same. Amen!

Sascha & Tiago immediately after the baptism.

Paulo Renato welcomes his new brother into the family of Christ!

Our family with Tiago after his baptism.

Please remember to keep Tiago and his new walk with Jesus in your prayers. He will leave us on Friday to spend a few weeks with his mom in his hometown of Santiago, Brazil. On June 9th, he will board a plane for Sydney, Australia and will be there until December.

No comments: