Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Thoughts on the Presidency

I want to start this post by congratulating Mr. Obama on his new post as Commander in Chief. I didn't vote for him (or Mr. McCain), but I have tremendous respect for the accomplishments that he has achieved. Unfortunately, when I got on-line early last month to register for my absentee ballot it was too late. I missed the deadline by just a few hours. I am still disappointed that I did not have the opportunity to vote in such an important election.

In my opinion both Mr. Obama and Mr. McCain would make a good President. I believe that both have the respect of many, both love the United States of America, both have good hearts and both are intelligent and capable men. Having said that I also think that both men have flaws. But, to paraphrase the words of Jesus, who among us doesn't. No one is perfect, not even the President.

I have been appauled at the nonsense I have heard and read about both of these men, especially Mr. Obama. Americans are really good at pointing the finger and accusing others of all sorts of things. I honestly don't know who would be a better President between Mr. McCain and Mr. Obama. I will say though, that as a citizen of the United States of American I will support the current President, the next President and all future Presidents no matter their party, color or gender.

You may ask how I would go about showing my support. I am a Republican, but I am a Christian first. I believe in the power of prayer and I plan on exercising it on behalf of our elected officials and leaders. As a Christian I feel that I have the responsibility to lift Mr. Obama (or Mr. McCain had he won the election) to the Lord in prayer. Many people feel that Mr. Obama's ideas and strategies are bad for the country. Why not pray about that then? More than anyone, Mr. Obama needs prayers for wisdom and strength. He needs prayers for clarity of thought and courage. He needs prayers for conviction to always do what is right not just for the American people, but for all people. The greater percentage of Americans felt that he will be able to lead us in the right direction. Let's join together in prayer for this man and his staff and all the other leaders of our nation. I believe that his heart, mind and soul will be moved to always do the very best thing - to make the best decisions if he is constantly covered in prayer. Let's pray.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate reading your thoughts on this matter. I truely appreciate that they were intelligent, thoughtful, and not offensive. I can not believe the amount of emails that I received from friends and family members who assumed that I thought just like them. This was the year I discovered new things about people that I've known for up to if not over 20 years.Some of these people are gullible, racist, and flat out scary.
I am sorry you did not get a chance to vote. I feel priviledged that I did. I have never been more excited about a political race....ever. On the first day of early voting I was in line and voted before lunch. I walked out of the court house feeling powerful! I said a thank you to my Granddad, who fought in 2 wars, so that I can vote and do or be whatever I want, and smiled all the way to the car. I am proud to be an American!
You can count on me to be praying for our President and the leaders of our country. Thanks again Sasch for your comments. They are very well done. Love you.